What are the milestones or major steps that can lead you to your overall intention? Think about the next year and what three goals you need to achieve in order to get from where you are now, to where you want to be. Is there any knowledge or skills you must obtain, certification you need, resources to save for or purchase, connections to make, sales goals to hit, skills to utilize and so on. You're looking to identify the MAJOR milestones. There are various types of goals you can set:
- Subjective Goals- (having fun, getting fit)
- General Objective Goals- (winning a championship)
- Specific objective goals- (increasing personal stats in a game)
- Outcome Goals- (focuses on results of a contest)
- Performance Goals- Improvements relative to one’s own past performance
- Process Goals- Specify the procedures in which the person will focus on during the event
WHAT TO DO: Use your list of brainstormed ideas from Step 2 to set 3 smaller goals for yourself. You should strive for a healthy balance between your goals. Be as quantitative and as specific as possible, avoiding the use of fluffy adjectives. If it helps, think about setting SMART Goals, which are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-bound. Most of all, be hopeful, yet honest and humble in your expectations. You’re going to have to accomplish these, so make them achievable.